Thursday, December 9, 2010

Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Clause

 Course, I have no idea who Virginia is.  Just one of those saying from an old movie (I guess) that keeps on going on.  It really should say, Yes Leslie, There is a God. 

See, for the first time in a VERY long time, (longer than I can remember) I am thinking about the future. Not in a philisophical way.  I mean the REAL future.  The "what am I going to be doing in 10 years, how can I afford retirement" future.  See I have not been planning for any future cause on January 23, 1995, my future was taken away. 

It was on that date that I was diagnosed with Hepatitis C and told that they (the all knowing doctors) could not guarantee that I would survive ten years.  I was 37 years old with a nine year old son and a 6 year old daughter and didn't expect to live long enough to see one or both out of high school.  That was 16 years ago and here I am. Six years past my expiration date.  My son is now 27 years old and my daughter 24.  I lived to see them both graduate high school, go on to college, fall in love, fall out of love, move more times than I wanted to help them with, bury their father and grow into wonderful, loving, self sufficient (sort of) adults. 

I will go into more detail in later posts, but to explain my statement, I need to tell you that I will be starting treatment for my Hepatitis in May of 2011.  There is a 25% chance that the treatment will rid my body of the virus in which case I have the opportunity (God willing) to go on to live a long normal life if I don't do anything stupid like step out in front of a bus. (Which brings up the subject, why does everyone use this as the example of their unexpected demise.  Are there that many buses out there running down seemingly innocent people???)

Anyway,
That I may live past the next holiday or next season has not been in the front of my mind for years.  Not that I went around all gloom and doom like I had a sword over my head.  I just chose not to think about it.  I don't live life day to day but more like summer to summer ( I am very cold natured).

Now I have to plan.  Takes some getting used to. 

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment